Thursday, May 27, 2010

Home Birth

I have discovered a new blog called Project Subrosa, a personal blog of Catherine from UK which talks about being a wife and a new mom. She just had a home birth and she told her beautiful story in her blog.

Reading her story about home birth inspired me. If God blesses The Cook and I to have a baby soon, I would definitely consider a home birth instead of a hospital one. I have nothing against hospitals it's just that I sort of have a fear of hospitals. Hospitals make me sad. Maybe because the times I've been to one is to visit a sick loved one.

My BFF had a traumatic experience when she gave birth in a hospital. While she was in labor, the interns made her a guinea pig in taking her blood pressure. Someone seemed to be a new intern and didn't know how to take blood pressure, not sure how it is properly done. Imagine being in pain due to labor while these interns alternately take your blood pressure for the sake of practicing it.

She had to have a C-section since the baby already pooped in her womb. She said it was like she was being molested there in the delivery room. She was butt naked and doctors and interns are inside the room without any sympathy to what she was going through. She remembered being injected some sort of drug in her spine while the nurses bended her body, while her big belly was squeezed between her chest and legs. Such a scary experience and I don't want it to happen to me!


Given that the doctors, nurses and interns are used to seeing butt naked pregnant women in the delivery room, these pregnant women are not used to being butt naked amidst these doctors, nurses and interns. Blankets here please!

I want to have a beautiful pregnancy and delivery of baby and it seems home birth is the way to go. It's natural, at my own pace and very intimate since me, the midwife and family members whom I like to be there will be there with me. Not people whom I don't know and would just experiment taking my blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter