Friday, March 17, 2017

Third IUI

Credit: Pixabay
I had my third IUI in St.Luke's Global City in Taguig in 2016. My OB-GYNE was Dr. Valerie Guinto.

We came to the hospital in the morning of my IUI schedule. Dr. Guinto instructed us to have Hubby's sperm prepared and washed in the Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Infertility (CARMI) in St. Luke's. In my previous IUIs, it was my OB-GYNE who washed the sperms in preparation for the procedure.

CARMI had two rooms for privacy where Hubby did his share for the IUI. The room had a comfy couch, tissue, sanitizer, sensual magazines and videos to "set the mood." Hubby said he wasn't *in the zone* despite the helpful paraphernalia in the room. But, having a room was better compared to the last IUI where Hubby got his swimmers in the men's bathroom. The cost of the sperm procedure at CARMI was P9,629.76.

After that, we waited for Dr. Guinto. My IUI was scheduled at 1pm.

Dr. Guinto arrived and we were the first patient she met since we were having an IUI. Her secretary, Mimi, already got the sperm sample from CARMI.

I laid down at the clinic's cot as Dr. Guinto prepared her stuff for the IUI. She checked and double-checked Hubby's name on the vial containing the sperm sample. She wanted to make sure that she inseminate me with the right sperm.

She had difficulty locating the opening of my cervix. Mimi put some pressure in my tummy area to help Dr. Guinto find my cervix. Once she found it, she used a catheter to insert the sperm to my retroverted uterus

After that, Mimi adjusted the clinic's cot so the lower half was elevated at an angle. She and Dr. Guinto helped me put my legs up to give the sperm time to swim inside my uterus. I was embarrassed when Dr. Guinto held my calves and moved my legs on top of the raised cot. She then left us and reminded Mimi to leave me in that position for 30 minutes.


Hubby then came into the procedure area. He could've been inside the room during my IUI--Dr. Guinto even asked him to--but he was uncomfortable. 

After 30 minutes, it felt like all my blood was going into my brain! I was getting dizzy and my neck hurt because of that awkward position.

We paid Mimi for Dr. Guinto's fee (sorry, I forgot the amount!)and left St. Luke's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter