Wednesday, March 1, 2017

2017 Lenten Season Challenge

Image source: Wikimedia
It's Ash Wednesday today. 

I heard Mass this morning and had a cross of ashes marked on my forehead. The priest said there are three things a Christian should do during the Lenten season: Praying, Alms Giving, and Abstinence.


Several years ago, I heard from my sister that she was able to abstain from beer during the Lenten season. She's not an alcoholic, mind you. What she is is a social drinker. When she and her friends hang out, they usually have beer or another form of alcoholic drink.

That got me thinking. I should also abstain from something which I love to eat or do. Some people I know abstain from social media, watching TV, eating pork, etc. Me, I wanted to stop eating junk foods.
Image source: Pixabay
For years I've always been challenging myself to NOT eat junk foods during Lent. I love eating junk foods on weekends and avoiding them during the season was my form of sacrifice.

Each year, that was my challenge. Each year I fail. No, wait! I think there was a year when I was successful...but I might be wrong. Anyway, it was difficult for me to avoid these salty, crunchy snacks. They're like my Kryptonite.

So this year, to change things up I decided to have a new challenge for myself this Lent.
Image source: Pixabay
I am going to RESPECT TIME.

For months I've been getting out of bed later than usual. I start work around noon already. I procrastinate. I always tell myself that there's much time left.

But, I'm always late for Mass, lunch with friends, outings, etc. I'm always shocked when I look at the time. I'm like, "Anong nangyari?! Bakit ambilis naman ng oras???"

So this Lenten season, I'm disciplining myself to be respectful of my time which translates to respecting other people's time also. I'll make adjustments so I could accommodate all of the things I do within the day. On time. I guess I'll also be more productive then.

How about you? What will you abstain from this Lenten season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter