Friday, October 1, 2010

The Pilot's Wife

image from here


The Pilot's Wife is the first Anita Shreve novel that I've finished reading. I bought it in Booksale for P80. (I love Booksale!).

The novel is about a widow who comes to terms about the sudden death of his husband and the double life he had lead when he was alive. Memories of Kathry Lyons' with her deceased husband alternates chapters telling her story in the present. Nice style of writing, if I may say so. As the chapter about the present ends, I automatically shift my mindset to read a chapter about Kathryn's life in the past.

At first, I felt that the novel was dragging, with its highly descriptive narration. I'm used to reading Sidney Sheldon's novels where it is fast paced, spanning different locations and time. But, this lengthy narration is a plus for the novel since it makes you visualize where and how the story happens. It seems that you are watching Kathryn as she laugh, cry in sorrow and become angry with things which are out of her control.

As the novel nears its end, I found myself reading and flipping the pages quickly. I wanted more spare time so I can read till the end. I want to know what happens to Kathryn and her child. I asked myself what I would do if I were in Kathryn's shoes. And I'm not disappointed as I read the last paragraphs of the novel.The ending is perfect for all the turmoil Kathryn experienced after her husband's death. It maintained Kathryn Lyons as a lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter