Friday, July 1, 2011

9th Acupuncture



Tropical storm Falcon ravaged the country the day before my appointment with my acupuncturist Sister Regina. I was deciding whether to go to the clinic or not. Rains poured incessantly during the night, I feared that flood will enter my apartment (as what happened in the Ondoy devastation in '09), I wasn't able to sleep well despite the cool temperature.

Good thing the sky cleared up the next day.

I left the apartment earlier than usual for my appointment. I alloted much time in case the sky brings rain again, unexpected traffic due to flood, etc. This worrying was no use since I got to the clinic an hour before my appointment. Good thing, the clinic is open and Sister Regina's assistants are there.

Patient #1! Woohoo!

I sit on a chair inside my cubicle. Outside I hear other patients talking with each other, some in Chinese and some in Tagalog. I open my book, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, as I wait on Sister Regina. After a 10 minutes or so, Sister came inside the cubicle.

After the usual preliminaries, she asks me to lie down. As she is inserting needles in my head, she tells me about her patient who had a severe case. This patient does not have menstration if she does not take pills. She can have one year without her period. Before her wedding, she underwent acupuncture also to prepare her body for future conception. They got married, the husband left the country (he's a seaman) and she got pregnant. But, it was an ectopic pregnancy. They are now working up again.

This story makes me feel happy but I feel a bit worried at the same time. Ectopic pregnancy?! I didn't worry about ectopic pregnancy before this but now, I sometimes do. Blame it on my worrier gene.

I tell Sister that I have about two cups worth of herbal tea left. She says I should finish it and she'll give me another type of herbal medicine. By next cycle, I should have an ultrasound and see that my follicles are big and round. Note that she says "see that" not "if". She's positive acupuncture combined with the herbal medicine will do wonders to my polycystic ovaries. I do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter