Friday, January 21, 2011

HPV Vaccine

image here
Tomorrow, I'll be having my first shot of the HPV vaccine. Dra. Aguilar recommended I have this vaccine before I get pregnant since this vaccine should not be given to pregnant women.

HPV vaccine is the vaccine against cervical cancer. A TV commercial says, if you know there's a way to prevent cancer, wouldn't you take it? Prevention is better than the cure, right?

HPV vaccine is given in 3 doses scheduled within 6 months. As of now, there are two types of the vaccine -- Gardasil and Cervarix. According to a mommy forum, Gardasil fights 2 cancer viruses and 2 wart viruses and costs about P3,500++ per shot (depending on the OB and hospital) while Cervarix fights 2 cancer viruses and costs P2,500++ per shot. Cervarix has proven studies but Gardasil is still in under study. I'm not sure which type Dra. Aguilar will give me. I think the cheaper one, though I'm not sure.

For all the women out there, I believe protecting yourself as early as possible is a good investment. The cost of the HPV vaccine may turn you off at first but the costs of cancer therapy and medicines are much more expensive. Save up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter