Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yoga class

I enrolled for 10 classes in Yoga Manila's Ashtanga Yoga Mysore. This is my first time to try this type of yoga and I have no idea what to expect. :)

Going to the yoga studio was a bit tricky for me. The studio is located in a gated compound. Once inside, I asked the guard for directions to the studio. I had some difficulty locating the studio proper since there are no signs in the building. Elevators are hidden and there are no people around to ask directions from. I felt like I was isolated in that wonderful and luxurious place.

Finally, I was able to get to the studio. Yes! The floor is wooden and the studio overlooks into two swimming pools. An incense was burning while a soft chanting music was playing in the background. Relaxation indeed. I rolled out my mat and tried to calm my nerves since this is my first time in this class. The yoga teacher, Jon, immediately noticed that I'm new and gave me some instructions on what to do, especially how to breathe properly in class.

How to breathe?
Inhale through the nose.
Exhale through the nose with vibrating sound in the throat. Like Darth Vader.

The class starts with chanting with Jon in the lead. It was followed by a series of poses called Surya Namaskar. We were asked to repeat the series 5 times. My mat neighbor, Beth, is new in class also so Jon gave us the same series of poses to practice. We repeated the series a few times so we could memorize it.

At the end of the class, my hands were slightly shaking. I feel some slight aches in my arms and side abs. I think my muscles were shocked to have been doing yoga poses again after a long time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter