Friday, June 2, 2017

Online Bible Study

Photo: Pixabay
I have been writing for a Christian website for a few years now. My client recently invited me to an online Bible study. She told me I wasn't obliged to attend, she just wanted to extend the invitation.


I said YES.

I always wanted to deepen my faith and relationship with God. There are times when I question things around me, I become doubtful of certain teachings, sometimes I just read passages and don't know what it means to me.

Her invitation came at the right time. I am excited and I looked forward to finally "see" her.

We used an online platform called Zoom. At the beginning of the study, we spent a few minutes figuring out how to see and hear every participant in the video conference. It kinda felt like an ice breaker!
Photo: Pixabay
There are 10 participants who came from different parts of the US--Florida, New York, Wisconsin, and me, from the Philippines. There is a pastor, another writer, and a foster mom.

The assignment for this week is Colossians 1:1 to 1:14. I thought the passages were a bit short for an hour of Bible study, but I was wrong. Bible passages can be interpreted in myriad of ways.

The participants used Paul's letter to the Colossians in sharing many things about their experiences in praying for others and thanking God for their own personal faith journeys.

A participant who is Catholic said when she sees someone who's in need of prayer, she prays: I pray for your journey. She said we may never know another person's background or what he/she's going through, but saying you're praying for his/her journey would mean a lot. Some may accept your prayer, others may refuse it. But, we shouldn't quit praying.

Photo: Pixabay
There are a lot of other things I learned in the Bible study. I saw how passionate the others are in their faith and I aim to be that, too. I didn't contribute to the meeting, though, since I'm shy and I'm not much of a talker.

It was an enlightening and relaxing Friday morning for me. I'm glad I said yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter