Friday, June 16, 2017

In Weakness I Found God

Photo: Pixabay
I'm writing fresh out of our third online Bible study. Today's assignment was Colossians 1:24 to 2:3.


The group was smaller than the previous fellowships, but that was alright.

During the study, an attendee, let's call her Penny, said when she is in weakness, she is in alignment with God. Her statement resonated with me. As she finished explaining her thought, the study's coordinator asked me if I wanted to share something.

Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 
--Colossians 1:24

It's difficult to speak in English. Since we're Filipinos, our thoughts are in our native tongue (mine is Tagalog), so I translate my thoughts in English first before I'm able to speak out loud. I didn't say anything in the previous Bible studies because of this delay in translation. But today, I felt that it was the right time to share what I know and what I felt.

I told the group that I agreed with Penny's sentiments that when I feel weak, that's where I find God also. I shared the gist of what I've been through just to have a baby. We only had an hour so I didn't want to use up all that time talking about myself. 

I said that Hubby and I did everything we could think of that would help us have a baby, but to no avail. In the end, we just surrendered everything to God. I mean, what can we do, right?
Photo: Pixabay
The women of the group was happy to learn that even though we're facing a tough challenge of infertility, Hubby and I didn't stray away from God. We still held on and our problem just made us closer to Him. 

They said many couples break up because of infertility. Some forget about Him if He doesn't answer their prayers. The fact that my husband is still here with me and we have love is a great blessing in itself.

Penny, who is in the medical field, said she knew a lot of couples who tried IVF, but remained unhappy even after having kids. My client/friend told me she has been including me in her prayers. 

A pastor politely suggested adoption, since there are many abandoned children and we all are adopted children of God. I may not get the answer I wanted, but His reply will come to me. They encouraged me that God's plans will always be the best.

I felt like a weight was lifted over me. I was happy and lighthearted after our study. 

Instead of bombarding me with recommendations on how to get pregnant (isn't that just more stressful to a trying couple, not to mention, unnecessary?), they made it clear to me that having my husband is a nice gift already. I know that Hubby is my blessing but sometimes this fact is overshadowed by the petty things I worry myself with.

Photo: Pixabay
I do not know these women on a personal level. We only see each other once a week on a video conference yet I feel close to them. That, I think is one of the ways God works in our lives. He sends people on our way to touch us, to understand us, to help us.

Have a blessed weekend, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter