Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman




I rarely buy new books. Second-hand book shops are my go-to whenever I wanted to buy books. I get excited whenever I'm going to these book stores since I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt whenever I browse different titles, check out the back covers for the story's gist, and see how much I could save.

However, the problem with book bargain hunting is when you got a book that was part of a series. Rarely do these shops have all the books in a series, except maybe for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. They're always available!

I'd love to have The Chronicles of Narnia (7 titles in the series) by C.S. Lewis and A Series of Unfortunate Events (13 titles!) by Lemony Snicket, but I don't know if I could pull off buying the series from thrift book shops.


Photo credit: www.amazon.com

A few years ago, after watching the movie, I bought Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, not knowing that it was Book 1 of His Dark Materials trilogy. I enjoyed the story and wanted to read the rest of the trilogy. Luckily, I found Book 2, The Subtle Knife.


Photo credit: www.amazon.com

Years went by, and I wanted to get my hands on the last installment of the trilogy. The ending of The Subtle Knife left me hanging and wondering what would happen to the protagonists, Lyra, Will and Roger. Whenever I visit a mall, I go out and check books for sale to see if they have that elusive book.




Imagine my excitement when finally, I found The Amber Sypglass. It was more expensive than what I usually pay whenever I'm buying books, but what the heck. I got the book and now I can't wait to finish this trilogy. YEY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter