Thursday, April 16, 2015

SSS Maternity Benefit of Voluntary Members

Photo credit: www.bestequities.com
I didn't realize that I could file a claim a maternity benefit from SSS. Although my OB told me about it during my follow-up check-up after my miscarriage, I didn't pay much attention to it, thinking since I'm a voluntary member only, maybe I wouldn't get much. Thought that the effort to get the requirements from the hospital and filing the claim would not be worth it for the amount I would be getting.

Last year, I only paid P500/monthly since I didn't have much income. Based on the SSS website, the amount that you could claim is based on your past premiums. But friends still urged me to file a reimbursement of my D&C.

I went to the nearest SSS branch and inquired about it. The SSS staff told me to get the Maternity Notification (MAT 1) and Maternity Reimbursement (MAT 2) Forms. You can download these forms from the SSS website. She checked the portions where I needed to fill out and explained the requirements for a miscarriage.

Requirements for Self-Employed/Voluntary Members (Miscarriage or Abortion):

  1. Ultrasound report during and after the pregnancy (although, having an ultrasound after the pregnancy, may it be due to miscarriage or childbirth, is impractical in my opinion). I submitted the ultrasound report before I underwent the D&C.
  2. Medical certificate/obstetrical history from the attending physician
  3. Hystopath report
  4. D&C report
  5. Clinical abstract (Not mandatory, but I submitted this also.)
At The Hospital
I went to the hospital and asked my OB for those records. She gave me a medical certificate and a request slip to be given to the Records Section listing all pertinent documents of my D&C. After 3 days, I got my medical records.

I was having doubts that my claim would be approved since 1.) I didn't notify SSS about my pregnancy, and 2.) it has been three months since my miscarriage. 

At The SSS
I submitted the two SSS forms and medical records to the P.E. Center of SSS. The in-house doctor reviewed my documents and approved my claim. Yehey!

I went to the Corporate Lane and gave the approved documents. The staff told me to follow-up after two weeks. I would be getting a reimbursement higher than what I thought I would get. Furreal?!

After 35 minutes, I was out of the building. Wasn't that fast?

I hope this post would teach others about SSS maternity benefits. It's important to know our rights as SSS members.


2 comments:

  1. nasa corporate lane n yung mat claim ko, nrelease naba check mo? hoping for your reply

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yes, nakuha ko na po yung check--actually, ubos na yung pera. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Free Hit Counter