Monday, July 29, 2013

At Your Lowest is Where You are Blessed

Image here

I heard mass with Inay last Sunday in our humble chapel. I wasn't able to do so in a couple of weeks because of tardiness (yeah, so baaad). I was so glad I came to church that Sunday.


Our priest gave his homily about the gospel of Luke 11:1-13. He said, when we are at our lowest points, that's when we receive the most blessings. He told a story when he was a high school student. Their class at the seminary took the NCEE and they were 24 students in all. 23 of them got grades of 90% and higher and 1 got 63%. Obviously it was embarrassing for that 1 classmate, I'll name him John, to get a failing grade among all of them. The priest admitted that John was not very good in school. John was not endorsed to go to college because he failed the NCEE. The class wondered what would happen to John since he would not be able to pursue his education.

Years passed, our priest was assigned in a rural community and as he was driving, his car broke down. He was directed to a local car repair shop where most priests have their vehicles fixed. He went to the car shop and alas, John was there. John owned the car shop. He may have failed in English, Math, Science, and all the other academic subjects but he was an expert in mechanical stuff. Not passing a crucial examination led him to explore other aspects where he can excel. 

When we are at our lowest is where we get the most blessings... 

I thought about it and I recalled that it is definitely true and I have experienced it. Years ago, I was at my lowest point in life. I had a job which I hate but spent very long hours, my supervisors doubt my competency of holding the position, I didn't go to church (ever), and I rarely went home to the province to visit my parents. I was so busy at work that I get surprised when pay day comes; not having spent the previous pay, yet. That was how busy I was at that time! And for a job that I hate. After crying tons of tears for so many reasons, but mainly for being so sad all the time, I had a change of heart. I decided that that destructive lifestyle must change. I didn't know where to start. I went to a church near where I lived and attended mass. I cannot remember the homily at that time but I do remember crying during mass. I was ashamed of myself for only remembering Him when I was at my lowest.

A few months after that enlightening experience, I resigned from work. I had some savings and no job to go to. I rested and went back to the province to "build" myself again. I was then accepted to a company where the working environment was great. And at that time, I met my future husband. (Awww!)

As I was intently listening to the priest, I can relate on what he said that there are times when we question Him why we don't get our prayers answered. I've been praying for years to have a baby of our own but it's not yet happening. Sometimes, I doubt if Hubby and I'll be able to get our own family. Not everything is rosy in our TTC journey. The homily renewed my faith that things will come in due time. In God's perfect time. Not in ours, not when it's convenient to us, but in God's.

Everyone of us have experienced low points in life, some may even be experiencing it right now. But, as they say, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter