Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Play for Japan

My officemate and fellow music enthusiast G and I went to the "Play for Japan". This is a benefit concert for the victims of the Japan earthquake + tsunami. Japan artists Miyako (premiere soprano) and Kunie Tatsuta (award-winning classical pianist) performed for this fund-raising event.


We chose to watch the May 7 concert (P500/ticket) since the other performance date, April 30, costs P1,000 with cocktails. :) The venue was at the Serenade Hall near the Makati Medical Center.


We arrived at the Serenade Hall 30 minutes before its opening so G and I went to the nearest Mini Stop to pass the time. When we returned to the venue, almost half of the seats were already occupied by Japanese adults and children. I felt we were outsiders since we were the only Filipinos. Good thing several Pinoys arrived for the concert.


The concert began with Ms. Miyako singing four broadway songs: Sound of Music (from "The Sound of Music"), Tonight (from "West Side Story"), I Could Have Danced All Night (from "My Fair Lady") and Memory (from "Cats"). Ms. Tatsuta (say: tats-ta) accompanied Ms. Miyako.


Then, Ms. Tatstuta took the stage for her solo performace. She played classical pieces from Chopin and Mozart. She was very great! I was amazed how she played the piano. That was the first-time I saw a world-class pianist and I was so happy I had the opportunity to watch her.


The concert ended with Ms. Miyako singing three Japanese songs (Cherry Blossom, Cherry Blossom Alley and I forgot the other one) and three folk songs from UK, Scotland and Ireland.


After the concert, G and I decided to look for other shows like this. I missed this type of entertainment.

It's also noteworthy how the kids behaved throughout the concert. They sat primly at their seats, not clinging to their moms nor showing boredom. During the intermission did they only played and talked with the other kids. Amazing discipline I must say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter