Friday, May 27, 2011

BookCrossing

The Correli's Mandolin which I bought in Booksale recently has something interesting in the first page.

A sticker which says:









Intrigued, I went online and searched for the
BookCrossing website. After typing the BCID code, I learned that the book I'm holding was once owned by a reader in Minnesota, USA in 2006. Amazing!

What is BookCrossing?
BookCrossing is the act of giving a book a unique identity so, as the book is passed from reader to reader, it can be tracked and thus connecting its readers. There are currently 933,357 BookCrossers and 8,011,671 books travelling throughout 132 countries. Our community is changing the world and touching lives one book at a time.

This is a new thing for me, owning a book and then releasing it for others to read. You can release a book by leaving it in a bus, park, airport, anywhere where someone could "catch" it. I admit, I cannot think of letting go of my books yet. Maybe someday when my future house cannot contain all the books I've read and collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter