Monday, May 16, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

The Daughter of Fortune is Isabel Allende's fifth novel which took her seven years of research. Set in 1840s in Chile, the novel tells the story of a young Chilean girl named Eliza Sommers who, at the first struck of love, follows her first love out of the country. A girl trained to observe the rigid rules and ettiquette of women in high society, Eliza defied all odds just to track her lover, Joaquin Andieta, who was struck with gold fever. It tells the tale of Eliza's journey from Chile to California with the help of a Chinese zhong yi (physician) Tao Chien, her battle with mental, physical and emotional problems as she search for Joaquin in a foreign land and a decision she has to make in the end.

I like reading the Daughter of Fortune. Allende's writing style is lyrical with a touch of history. She will take you to the place where the story is happening. I could see the Sommers' mansion in Chile, the network of shanties where Joaquin lives, the darkness of the ship's belly and the dusty California land as miners frenetically search for gold like madmen.

My favorite part of the novel is the chapter about Tao Chien. It tells his story of being a Fourth Son, his training as a physician and his love for his arranged bride Lin. I liked how Allende described Tao's love for Lin. It tugged the romantic side of me. I hoped that How Tao sees Lin is how Hubby sees me also. Here's a part of the novel:

"She made him laugh like no one else could, invented impossible stories, provoked him with word games. In Lin's presence, everything seemed to be lighter with an irresistable glow."



Sigh.

The novel also touched on the lives of seamen. People living most of their lives at sea are lonely wherein women are scrace and their physical needs cannot be denied for so long. This struck a chord in me. Wives of seamen hope that their husbands will remain faihful and loyal to them despite the distance and longing for each other. I can only pray that Hubby use all his willpower to restrain himself when temptations arise.

I definitely recommend the Daughter of Fortune to those who love stories of adventures and finding true love. If I'm in my younger years, I'll read this type of novel instead of the ubiquitous paperback romance novels in bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter