Monday, July 26, 2010

Bad News, Good News

Yesterday, there was rain. As Hubby and I hurried to get off the bus, open our gigantic umbrella and cross the street to the mall, a pick pocket opened the pockets of our backpacks. We never realized it until we were inside the mall when the mall guard pointed out that the our bags were open. I dismissed it, saying that we forgot to close our bags since during our trip, we were getting things in and out our bags. Hubby was insistent that he didn’t forget.

As I was preparing my office bag at our apartment, that’s when I realized that my fish coin purse and strawberry-scented hand sanitizer are nowhere in sight. I checked and double-checked Hubby’s bag. Nada. The pickpocket got them! I was saddened that I was living in the city for years and still a thief stole my things. Hubby consoled me that good thing my wallet and cellphone was inside my bag where the thief would not be able to get them. Shame on you, thief!

All night I cannot let go of the thought that I was victimized. It felt that I was duped or something.


The next day, getting a ride to the office was kinda difficult. When an FX came, I immediately grab a seat and opened my wallet to pay for my fare. Imagine my shock. I totally forgot that I have no small bills to pay for my ride! I have P500 which the driver did not accept since he has no change for it. I thought of things on what I would do to pay even though I know that I have no P20 in my bag. I searched and searched but I know it is futile. I asked my fellow passengers if they could possibly break down my money. Futile.

My FX seatmate got his wallet and gave P20 to me saying I should pay it for my ride. I don't know what to say at first. I'm ashamed that a stranger would pay for me and grateful at the same time. I tried to get his name but he seems shy and was nonchalant by his kind act. I checked again my bag for loose coins so as to compensate his goodness (I was thinking what if that P20 was his fare later and he has no more money in his wallet?) and I got a P15 which I gave him. He was surprised with that, I can tell.

Before getting off the FX, I said "Thank you po uli, Sir. God bless po." Hopefully he has a good day ahead of him.

Now, I am thinking how to pay this forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter