Saturday, June 6, 2015

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Pechay, mustasa, marigold seedlings with my cactus
Another project of mine is a vegetable garden. With the positive reinforcement of my sister-in-law who's a licensed agriculturist, I started a vegetable garden in front of our house. She provided me with pechay and mustard seeds and planted them in seedling pots.


I asked a good neighbor to help me prepare the soil. She's a farmer, and she knows her way with planting. Using a hoe, she broke the top soil and we removed the weeds, getting everything out including the roots, stones, and other small debris. She said I had good planting soil. Yehey!

After 5 hours, we were able to create three plots. This reminds me of a horticulture class in elementary when students spent the afternoon maintaining the school's vegetable garden.


I transplanted the seedlings to the plots. That was no easy task! Each seedling should be carefully removed from the other seedlings in the pot to prevent root damage/stress. When a bunch of seedlings seemed clustered together, I planted them as one. :)


These seedlings need daily watering and weeding. Removing weeds is easier after the rain since the soil is soft and you can get the weed and roots in one pull. It's a task that I can liken with removing blackheads on your face. Once you get one out, you can't seem to stop. Hehe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter