Tuesday, June 23, 2015

First Round of Blood Tests in Manila Endocrine Laboratory


After my first consultation with Dra. Valerie Guinto which I wrote about here, she requested a list of nine blood tests for me to have. She recommended that I do them in Manila Endocrine Laboratory, which was located near her clinic at Joshua Center.


Here were the blood tests I needed:

  1. APAS
  2. LAT
  3. Beta 2
  4. TSH
  5. HBAIC
  6. HIV
  7. RPR
  8. Lipid Profile
  9. FBS
During lunch, I talked with my cousin, K, and wife, T, about the tests. They should've done them, too, before, but since T got pregnant soon, they weren't able to do all the tests. I was thinking of taking all of the tests that day, if that was possible. They said it was possible for all tests, except that two which needed fasting (test # 8 and 9). However, the a cost of one test ranged from P4,000 to P5,000. Shocked! 

T revealed that Manila Endocrine Laboratory only accepts cash, but have no fear, the owner of the facility was a kind-hearted angel who allows balance payments in the future. I thought about doing one test first since I don't have that much money with me and I was hesitant to have credit that soon on my first day in the laboratory.



The Manila Endocrine Laboratory was located along Pedro Gil and was two blocks away from Taft Avenue. From Robinsons Manila, where we ate lunch, T and I rode a jeep and dropped off in front of the laboratory. We signed in the logbook and saw that the previous patient came in early in the morning, meaning, the day was not that busy at the laboratory.

Upon entering the facility, which looked like a foyer of a nice home, we talked to the staff about the tests I needed. I asked her about the costs of each test. As she was writing the costs in my prescription, I saw "5,000," "5,500," and "6,500." I stopped looking since it seemed that the costs kept getting higher as she went down the list. I asked her if my total cost would reach P50,000, she said that was too much and my bill would only be around P20,000. Oh my!


While she was writing the costs, the owner of the lab, Ms. Zandra Rhodora Laurel, entered the facility. She remembered my cousin-in-law who was also a client 3 years ago. T told her about her child and showed her his pictures. Ms. Laurel saw my prescription and the costs and noticed that a blood test was quoted "6,500" when it should've been "650." The staff misread the name of the blood test and gave me a price for another test. Good thing Ms. Laurel saw that!

Ms. Laurel recommended that I could do the two blood tests that needed fasting -- Lipid Profile and Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) -- in the province since it would be more convenient for me. I asked her if an HMO card would cover the costs of those tests, and she revealed that those companies charged twice or trice the actual amount of the test. She also said that not all tests were available in hospitals. Even doctors from big hospitals like Asian Hospital and St. Luke's refer Manila Endocrine Laboratory for such blood tests.

As we were discussing about my blood tests, I was still contemplating whether to do all of them that day, or just return when I get more money. I told Ms. Laurel that I only have P5,000 with me. Without batting an eyelash, she told me that that was OK. I could just deposit my balance at a later time and send them a copy of the deposit slip. She said it would be better if I they get my blood and do the 7 tests at once so I don't need to come back to the laboratory. I was grateful that Ms. Laurel allowed me to have the 7 blood tests, even if I only paid a fraction of my total bill, which was P16,510.

The nurse asked me to fill out a form for the HIV test. Maybe it was a documentation that the Department of Health requires to laboratories with patients taking the HIV test. After that, I went to the extraction area and she took 5cc of my blood. She said that was enough for them to use in the tests I required.

The staff gave my official receipt together with Manila Endocrine Laboratory's business card and bank details. Ms. Laurel told me that they would email me my results and assured me that I could just deposit my balance in the future.

All in all, the results of my blood tests would be available after a week.

Ms. Zandra Rhodora Laurel
Manila Endocrine Laboratory
969 Pedro Gil St., 675 Zone 073,
Paco, Manila
Telefax: (02) 524-5895
Monday to Saturday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter