Friday, January 24, 2014

DIY Compost Bin


Hubby and I envisioned a home where plants abound every nook and cranny. Since only the first floor of our two-storey dream house would be constructed first, we decided to make a sort of rooftop garden on the first floor.

After Hubby left to start a new contract abroad, I was filled with ideas on starting our own garden. I wanted to have an all-natural, organic garden -- flowers, fruits, vegetables, and herbs. I'm not sure if I have a green thumb like my late maternal grandfather but I could try.

First, I made a compost bin. It was a doable project since I only needed a handful of materials at home. I searched the Internet and saw several instructional guides such as this one from Organic Gardening.

I collected the following for my compost bin:

  • brown materials: saw dust, dried vines and leaves, soil
  • green materials: fruit and vegetable peelings, egg shells
I saw a cracked plastic container where I layered the compost materials: soil, dried plants, and then the green materials. I created two layers and add other materials in the future. I covered my compost bin to discourage animals from scavenging my bin. Hopefully, it would develop as a good compost in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter