Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Book Haul - September 2013


I've discovered a Book Sale branch that offers second-hand books cheaply; I saw books worth P5! Instead of going to the mall's Book Sale, I went to this branch to get my monthly book haul. 

It was a Sunday when I went there so the store closes earlier than during the weekdays. I spent an hour browsing through the titles, holding in my hand the books which I would like to purchase.

 
Image here
The first book that caught my eye was "Heat" by Bill Buford. It tells about the adventures of the author as he worked in superstar chef Mario Batali's Italian restaurant. I know Batali from Iron Chef and I was intrigued as to what goes behind the scenes of a famous restaurant owned by him.





Image here
I have two novels by Alice Hoffman which I haven't read yet but I can't stop myself from getting another one. I don't know why. Maybe I just trusted that Hoffman's a good author and her stories such as the "Blue Diary" would be worth reading.








Image here
"A Recipe for Bees" by Gail Anderson-Dargatz had a cute cover. Novels about bees interest me, after reading Sue Monk Kidd's "The Secret Life of Bees." The story is about Augusta who learns about beekeeping which helps her reconnect to the world and strengthen her marriage.







Image here
"Basket Case" by Carl Hiaasen is about a former investigative journalist turned obit writer, Jack Tagger, who tries to resurrect his name by solving a murder case of an infamous rock band vocalist. Praises written on the book's back cover said it was a fun and hilarious read, so I bought it. It wouldn't hurt to have something comical in my book haul.







Image here
I've read a Mary Higgins Clark mystery novel before from a former roommate and I bought one which seemed intriguing. The plot of "Where are the Children?" is about a woman who changed her identity to get away from a hurtful and disturbing past only to realize that the same nightmare is happening to her and her children again.






Image here
"The Bridges of Madison County" is a best-selling novel of all time and became a major motion picture. I hope it is a good read as what most reviews say.










I can't say enough about my love of Book Sale. The total of my purchase, P95 only! I have to double-time reading since unread books keep on piling on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter