Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Garage Sale

"A garage sale, also known as a yard sale, rummage sale, tag sale, lawn sale, attic sale, moving sale, garbage sale, or junk sale, is an informal, irregularly scheduled event for the sale of used goods by private individuals." - Wikipedia


Last Saturday, I joined a garage sale in my colleague's house. That was my first time seeing and joining a sale.


Two days before, I hauled my unused clothes and bags, and my sister's Reader's Digests. I also included brand new fashion accessories, which is a teensy sideline business I just opened recently. I sorted my items and put prices. In my mind, the price should be low but with allowance for discounts. Even if the buyer haggles at half the price, I can still sell the item.


The morning of the garage sale, as I was preparing to leave the apartment, my Hubby called. Talk about perfect timing! I assured him that his call is more important than the garage sale and I can be late for the sale if it means talking to him. :)

I arrived at my colleague's house two hours after the opening. She was already able to sell some of her items. I hanged the shirts I brought and put the accessories in a plastic basket.



At the end of the garage sale, I sold 7 out of 9 accessories, including the dangling earrings I wore that day, and 2 out of 5 shirts.


I compared having a garage sale with managing a store. It's fun to see your products being sold and the art of selling and haggling is enjoyable. Also, I learned that it is not all rosy. Waiting for customers can be tiring. Someone should always be in the "store" to oversee customers and you have to be alert for thieves.


The garage sale was an activity, an exercise, which can teach you lessons as you dip your toes in the entrepreneurial world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter