Wednesday, August 24, 2016

My Pet Bit Me!

Image credit: Pixabay

One Sunday, after hearing Mass and sharing a hearty breakfast with the family, I went home to have a relaxing day. No work, no house chores. Finally, a time for myself. While I was fixing Bruno's leash, another dog came running outside our gate, causing a ruckus among my dogs.


Bruno was barking at the other dog and his teeth accidentally grazed my knee! There was a sharp pain, but I ignored it at first. Then, I thought the pain didn't subside so I removed my jeans and checked my knee. There was a small scrape and my knee was bruised. I washed the wound and called my mother.

We went to the Animal Bite Center at the hospital. The ER doctor asked if there was blood on the dog bite. I told him that there was blood on the wound opening, but not oozing. Apparently, knowing whether or not there's bleeding after a dog bite is important since it lets the doctor know which category to place the patient and which treatment to use.

According to the World Health Organization,
Types of contact are:

  • Category I – touching or feeding animals, licks on the skin
  • Category II - nibbling of uncovered skin, minor scratches or abrasions without bleeding, licks on broken skin
  • Category III – single or multiple transdermal bites or scratches, contamination of mucous membrane with saliva from licks; exposure to bat bites or scratches
The doctor explained that the patient should first wash the wound with soap and water. There's no need to apply pressure and make the wound bleed since rabies is a virus and is not a poison. He said there's very little chance that humans develop the rabies virus after an animal bite. But, if it does develop, it is 100% fatal. Better to have the vaccines and be safe than be sorry later on.

Five shots of various vaccines were administered to me on the day of the accident. It costs P7,200 plus the doctor's fee of P700. The nurse gave me my Bite Card where the schedule of succeeding treatments are listed. Rabies vaccine should be administered on Days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 30.

The ER doctor said that if after Day 14 the dog remains healthy and alive, the treatment will be terminated. No need for the last vaccine on Day 30.

I'm happy to say that I won't be needing that last shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter